Back home

Good evening and greetings!

I finally have the chance to write my final blog. It's been a crazy past few days because I just got back home from Costa Rica. I have been unpacking and getting back in the hang of things and my daily schedule. I can't believe my time abroad went by so fast. I was in Heredia for almost 4 months and it felt like only a week.

It is definitely bittersweet being back home. On my way back home, when I was in the plane, I couldn't believe that I was finally going back home, no matter how many times I told myself and repeated it. The last night in Costa Rica was sad because I was saying goodbye to my host family and all my friends that I made in the program. One thing I already miss by being back home is the warm weather and not having to wear layers and my winter coat!

When I first landed, I immediately felt the difference not only in the temperature but the environment felt different. I was so excited to see my friends and family at the airport. When I finally got home, I could not wait to greet my furry friends. My dog and cat were so excited to see me, and I was overwhelmed with the feeling of being back home.

The first night I was back home, my friends and I went out to eat in a restaurant and I felt culture shock in my own country. It was definitely different being surrounded by people who spoke English all around me. I even caught myself ordering something off the menu in Spanish, and had to quickly remind myself I wasn't in Costa Rica anymore.

Overall, it took about two full days to adjust to being back home, and it still feels a bit strange at times, especially when I finally drove in my car again. The roads and being behind the wheel was different as well. I already miss Costa Rica a lot, and all the memories I made there, but I know someday I will return there. It is definitely a place I now call my second home. I don't regret one single thing, and I have had the time of my life. I could not stress enough to everyone, to take the chance and leap out of your comfort zone and to study abroad. It is something that will change your life forever.

I have enjoyed sharing my experiences with you all throughout my time abroad. Pura Vida! (Costa Rican saying that means "pure life".)

As always,

Camille Zalewski

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Trip to La Fortuna